Saturday, May 14, 2011

Days 7-12

So far so good. I haven't missed a workout yet this week, and I'm actually quite enjoying myself when I do work out. I usually do it at night, and I sleep better when I do.

I have a confession to make though - the first week I was doing the workouts, I didn't have the resistance band that you put under your feet to help with your arm workouts. Which made doing them incredibly easy! But, my wonderful hubby found a really cheap set of the game, the resistance band, and the leg strap that keeps the nunchuk in place while you workout online and bought them for me, so I've used them the last two times I've worked out because they came in the mail on Thursday. Wow, does that make the workout harder!!!!! I'll be surprised if I can lift up and hold my flute tomorrow during worship!

But now that I've gotten into a routine of doing this, it seems to be going much smoother. I honestly enjoy doing it; I like the fact that I can do it in my own home, I don't have to drive somewhere to go to a gym. But at the same time, I also like the fact that I have a "personal trainer" if you will, telling me how to do the exercises. Sometimes when I would go to a gym, I'd go by myself or with Chad, but I wouldn't really know proper form or position, so inevitably I would end up riding one of the stationary bicycles because that's all I knew how to do. With the game, I get specific instructions on every exercise, and someone to follow through the reps. I also don't have an entire gym of skinny-minnies staring at my "less than skinny-minnie" butt while I work out. It's quite nice!

This past week however, I have definitely confirmed my weakest area: Food. I loooooove food. I love sweet things. I have managed to cut down on my sweets at work (no crullers to supplement my lunch this whole week!), but I need to focus on the fact that more is not better. I need to learn to listen to my body when it says "I'm full!" and not that I need to necessarily clean my plate. (Mom taught us that a good plate is a clean plate, and that there were little children starving in Africa or China who would love my dinner.) But going along with that, I need to start putting less on my plate. I don't need as much food as I think I do, so I need to learn to tell myself No.

Any tips on how you have conquered that? Or encouragement to say no?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am by NO means an expert when it comes to this, but something I have been trying is to have 2 vegetables (a salad and some other veggie usually) at dinner and eat them first. Then I eat the main course and I don't end up having quite as much because the vegetables filled me up more. Also, half the time I feel like I eat everything in one breath and then I'm still hungry. If I take my time and eat my food slowly it fills me up faster. I don't remember where I heard it, but someone said that your brain doesn't tell your stomach it's full until 20 minutes after you ate. They recommended you eat your food and then wait 20 minutes before you tell yourself you are still hungry. Chances are that by the end of that 20 minutes your brain will have had time to tell your stomach that it's full. Hope that makes sense, and I hope that helps. Good luck, Holly. :)

Diane said...

Sara's right, on the idea of partially filling on something good (even having a big glass of water before you start eating helps, or a small bowl of soup or broth as a first course) and the 20 minute thing.

I eat too much because I eat too fast - putting your fork down between bites is one way to slow down. Smaller meals more often is another way, or at least having scheduled snacks (a bit of cheese and whole wheat crackers, a spoonful of peanut butter and an apple - no carbs without protein). Helps keep blood sugar leveler AND keeps you from eating as much at a meal because you're so hungry.

I know, I know - I should follow my own advice. I'm working on it.

Mir-ka said...

I eat weird meals because I'm gone a lot and live alone, but I'd recommend looking into the books "Eat this not that". It's a whole series. I think my mom has "Buy this not that". I just bought, "Cook this not that". It's a great way to substitute healthier foods into your diet. I'm a huge fan of the idea that's it's not so much watching the calories you eat, as making sure what you eat are good calories. I have a ridiculous sweet tooth as well, so cutting out sweets is really hard for me. You have motivated me to try some more again though! Keep at it! ^__^

Rebekah said...

It is consistently doing what all the other ladies said for the long haul. Eventually you appetite will decrease. When I started weight watchers 55 lbs ago, I was "starving" the first two weeks and then, over time, I went from being able to eat a culvers basket with custard to being full after eating a kids burger. Find friends that can keep you on track and commit to the journey of weight loss. I also had tobreak a food addiction... Yes it is a real thing. Good luck and I am here for you girl.

Shockgrubz said...

Fasting has helped me a lot. Going to the opposite end of the spectrum helped me figure out and maintain that oh-so delicate balance in between gluttony and starving. It's too extreme of a measure for most people, but I can only speak from experience when I tell you that it works to put eating in a whole new perspective.