Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Days 1 and 2 - The Beginning

Soooo...I don't know why I said I would blog about this, but hopefully if I make it more public, it'll give me more motivation not to give up. I've tried the whole "Let's try exercising on my own" thing before, and inevitably I end up quitting or getting lazy, just give me a week or two.

So what brought this on, you ask? Well, I'm a firm believer in avoiding the scale. It is pure evil, thought up by masochists who wanted people to be depressed. Lucky for me, I work in a doctor's office, with my actual family practice doctor, and two such scales of sheer doom. But unless I was sick and told to go on one for medical reasons, I didn't step on the dreaded steel beasts.

Until yesterday. Yesterday I thought to myself, Eh, what the heck, just see. I figured I was right around where I have been for the last five years. I stepped up, the number popped into focus, and I wanted to either punch the wall or cry. I had somehow gained another 7 pounds, turning into my heaviest yet. Don't get me wrong, lucky for me I have it in most of the right places, but still, nobody likes the number, and I also didn't like how tight my pants had been feeling. So I spent the rest of the afternoon wondering what I was going to do about it, and wondering if that was enough to finally get me off my duff.

So I posted on FB when I got home a cry for help. Does the Wii Fit thing really work? Luckily Sara answered, and was even gracious enough to lend me the Wii Fit Active DVD. Chad and I drove over to her place, picked it up, drove home, and popped it in. After getting my Wiime (Wii me? Wiimii?) made, I started with the 30 day challenge. I popped in my measurements, and off I went. Doing a combination of side lunges, running, curls, and other exercises, 20 minutes felt like 3 hours. I sweat, I smelled, I wanted to stop, but I finished it. And it felt great. Now to keep it up.

I also decided that I needed to stop listening to my teeth so much. Most people have one sweet tooth, I have at least seven. And they love all talking at once. But while sweets aren't a bad thing, I'm going to try to limit myself. It's become a habit that I go down to the hospital cafeteria and grab a cruller to supplement my lunch every day...no more. At least, no more than once per week.

I also need to learn that when I'm full, I can stop eating. I have this habit of keeping my hand moving from the plate/bag/cookie jar to my mouth, whether or not I'm paying attention to what I'm eating. We'll see how I do.

I'm blogging right now after finishing Day 2. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow, I exercised muscles I didn't even know I had, but I'm going to know they exist when they're screaming at me tomorrow. But I don't care. It sucked to do it, but I'm proud of myself for completing it, especially since I didn't let my normal laziness get in the way. Yes, I worked 9 1/2 hours today. I ran to the store before I came home, I took my puppy Lumos for a walk around our apartment community, and I still did the program.

I'm tired. I'm wiped out. I'll get over it. I have a day off tomorrow according to the Wii, and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm kind of looking forward to Friday more, so that I can get into a habit.
And for those of you who are wondering?

210 pounds.

Never again.

I've got a ways to go, but I can do it, though some encouragement from time to time would be appreciated!

8 comments:

Diane said...

Yay, Holly! You go girl - those changes will become habits in no time! I'm especially impressed by the 9 1/2 hour day plus errands, and still doing the program; long days has been my excuse for too long.

Um, yeah, I made myself a commitment to eat at home as much as possible - I eat less if I cook. We'll see how it goes.

Holly o:) said...

Why do you eat less if you cook? Your cooking is delicious!!!! I'd eat more!

Anonymous said...

way to challenge yourself and put your goals and progress out there on the blogosphere. can't wait to hear about your successes! remember to find joy in the little victories!

(my captcha is "spload"...hehehehe, funny)

Chris H said...

I totally relate and I appreciate that you're doing it publicly.

I read a great book about eating that I recommend to you. I don't remember the author, but it's called "Mindless Eating.". Highly recommend.

Good luck, Holly!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Holly, maybe reading your blog will inspire me to start working out again! My trips to the Y have become nonexistent and I tend to avoid scales like the plague as well. We are renewing our membership to the Y on Saturday -- hopefully I'll keep it up. Please keep blogging about this though, It will keep me and possibly others motivated! Let me know if you ever want a work out partner ;)

Unknown said...

Great job! The hardest part is getting started. I can totally relate to the starting and then quitting after a few weeks. Story of my life. Keep up the good work! It'll pay off and you'll be happier, healthier and it will become part of your everyday life!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sara said...

Holly! This is AWESOME...very well written & so honest! THanks so much for sharing...& you've totally inspired me to keep going! We'll stick together, kid.....& be skinny minnies in no time....please keep blogging & inspiring us all! :)